The Foundations of Evidence-Based Policymaking Act (FEPA) (H.R. 4174) passed in the U.S. House of Representatives after the rules were suspended and a voice vote taken. The Senate companion bill (S.2046) was introduced by U.S. Senator Patty Murray (D-WA) who is the ranking member of the Senate HELP Committee.
The Senate bill has been read twice and was referred to the Senate Committee on Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs.
Here is the list of the committee members along with their Twitter handles and office phone numbers.
- U.S. Senator Ron Johnson (R-WI) – Chair (@SenRonJohnson) (202) 224-5323
- U.S. Senator Claire McCaskill (D-MO) – Ranking Member (@clairecmc) (202) 224-6154
- U.S. Senator Tom Carper (D-DE) (@SenatorCarper) (202) 224-2441
- U.S. Senator Steve Daines (R-MT) (@SteveDaines) (202) 224-2651
- U.S. Senator Michael Enzi (R-WY) (@SenatorEnzi) (202) 224-3424
- U.S. Senator Kamala Harris (D-CA) (@SenKamalaHarris) (202) 224-3553
- U.S. Senator Margaret Hassan (D-NH) (@SenatorHassan) (202) 224-3324
- U.S. Senator Heidi Heitkamp (D-ND) (@SenatorHeitkamp) (202) 224-2043
- U.S. Senator John Hoeven (R-ND) (@SenJohnHoeven) (202) 224-2551
- U.S. Senator James Lankford (R-OK) (@SenatorLankford) (202) 224-5754
- U.S. Senator John McCain (R-AZ) (@SenJohnMcCain) (202) 224-2235
- U.S. Senator Rand Paul (R-KY) (@RandPaul) (202) 224-4343
- U.S. Senator Gary Peters (D-MI) (@SenGaryPeters) (202) 224-6221
- U.S. Senator Rob Portman (R-OH) (@senrobportman) (202) 224-3353
- U.S. Senator Jon Tester (D-MT) (@SenatorTester) (202) 224-2644
The primary issue with FEPA is that it would create a “unified evidence-building plan” for the entire federal government – in essence, a national database containing data from every federal agency on every citizen.
What could possibly go wrong there?
Please read and share this one-pager on the bill about why student privacy advocates have grave concerns about this bill.