Brookings Institute just released the Education Choice and Competition Index Background and Results. They scored the 25 largest school districts in the nation to see how they fared using this criteria:
- Availability of alternative schools.
- Policies on Virtual Education
- Funding Follows Students
- Restructuring or Closing Unpopular Schools
- Assignment Mechanism
- Application Process
- Comparable Standards and Assessments (not thrilled with this criteria)
- Gain Scores
- Accessible Online Information
- Additional Performance Data
- School Quality
New York was the top school, but it had only a B. Chicago came in second also with a B. You can see the results here.
HT: School Book