The U.S. House of Representatives is determined to send President Obama a new education bill he will sign. Several months ago the House tried to pass HR 5, until the effort was derailed by conservative outrage.
NOW HR 5 IS BACK AGAIN – A VOTE IS SCHEDULED FOR NEXT WEEK!
Here are just a few major problems with HR 5:
- Continues the master/servant relationship between the U.S. Department of Education and the states, giving the Secretary enormous authority to “disapprove” state education plans.
- Allows state legislatures to waive their objections to federal mandates – when they don’t even realize they’re doing so!
- Actually cements Common Core and similar standards by requiring state standards to be aligned with Common Core tenets.
- Continues the oppressive federal testing requirements – and dictates the types of assessments that use intrusive psychological data-collection and manipulation.
- Is structured so that the “prohibitions” on the Secretary’s actions are essentially meaningless.
- Extends federal tentacles to preschoolers as well as elementary and secondary students.
Why the rush to send a bill to the President? Conservative congressmen should be drafting the best bill possible to send to the next President – not betraying their principles to pass a bill that that will cement bad policy for years!
CALL YOUR REPRESENTATIVE AND DEMAND A NO VOTE ON HR 5
Capitol Switchboard: 202.224.3121