USDED Threatens Federal School Aid Cuts Over Opt-Outs

Students in Computer Lab --- Image by © Royalty-Free/Corbis

Last week, the U.S. Department of Education threatened funding cuts if schools continue to have opt-outs.

Merry Christmas to you.

Oh, and this is after we have been told that schools and states will have more control after the Republican-led Congress reauthorized the Elementary and Secondary Education Act in the form of the Every Student Succeeds Act.

The Journal News out of New York reports:

The U.S. Department of Education warned states this week that federal school aid may be withheld withheld next year if less than 95 percent of students take government-mandated exams.

In New York, Title I funding that exceeds $1.1 billion could be at risk if the opt outs continue. The issue is pronounced in New York: 20 percent of students in grades 3-8 opted out of the tests last April in protest to the controversial Common Core exams.

“A high-quality, annual statewide assessment system that includes all students is essential to provide local leaders, educators, and parents with the information they need to identify the resources and supports that are necessary to help every student succeed in school and in a career,” the U.S. Department of Education wrote to state education departments Tuesday.

This threat was in the same letter I reported on last week where the department said there was no provisions for students to opt-out.