It seems like the College Board is imploding under David Coleman’s tenure. Since Coleman’s tenure with the College Board began they have been faced with one controversy after another that is largely of Coleman’s making.
They are currently facing a three class action lawsuits which probably has nothing to do with him, but the buck stops at the top.
Valarie Strauss has a nice summary.
The College Board, which owns the SAT, was forced to discard two of 10 sections of the SAT administered June 6 — or 22 percent of the test — because of printing errors on test booklets. Students discovered that the time allotted for one section, the last reading section, said 25 minutes rather than the 20 minutes that they were supposed to have. Because of the way the test is administered, some students were taking the final math section at the same time as some were taking the reading section with the misprinted timing instruction, and some test-takers were allowed more time than others by exam proctors.
The College Board’s solution was to toss out two sections and offer any June 6 test-taker a chance to retake the test at its next administration, on Oct. 3, 2015, for free. College Board officials have said students’ scores would be as reliable as if the entire test had been graded because the SAT is designed to collect enough information even if the entire test is not scored.
Many students aren’t buying the College Board’s explanation. According to the Courthouse News Service, three class-action lawsuits have been filed against the College Board and the Educational Testing Service, which administers the SAT, seeking a test fee refund as well as money for damages. The lawsuits were filed in Trenton, N.J., Jacksonville, Fla., and Long Island, N.Y.
Read the rest. This isn’t the only controversy to befall Coleman’s College Board. There have been complaints about the SAT changes that will align it to Common Core. One in four guidance counselors are actually encouraging their students not to take the newly designed SAT that will roll out in March of 2016. Then there is the whole mess with the A.P. U.S. History Framework.
How does this guy still have a job?